Quick ('fun') facts on jellyfish
Hope you’re doing well.
Today I’ve got a quick little post for you and this time it isn’t event IT related or something deeply “philosophical” from my life. 😂
Shocking I know…
I just wanna share some quick little “fun” facts about jellyfish with you?
Why you may ask? Well… I don’t really know. I just wanted to write something small up and my other ideas need some time in their implementation or are way too long by my quick writing pleasures.
So I did what I always do in those kinds of situations. I asked somebody else for ideas. 😅
To my rescue came a good friend of mine, Lisa, who suggested “jellyfish”.
I was a bit confused but thought… Why not…
So here we are… Ten quick facts on jellyfish. 😂
- Jellyfish are actually older than dinosaurs as a species. The oldest verified jellyfish remnants are about 500 million years old but they are speculated to have existed for about 700 million years.
- They aren’t made out of jelly but rather about 95-98% water. Shocking… 😮
- The tallest jellyfish can be up to ~2m tall. That’s taller than most of you out there…
- Jellyfish can cause various mechanical lock-ups in water-related systems (like ships or desalination plants) due to clogging as well as crush fishing nets.
- They have no brain, heart, bones or eyes, one of the few species to not feature either of those bodyparts.
- Jellyfish eat and shit from the same hole in the center of their body as well as shoot out a stream of water which they can use to swim.
- Some species of jellyfish can be basically immortal by “dividing itself up” into multiple polyps.
- A specific species of the jellyfish (box jellyfish, Chironex fleckeri) is the most venomous marine animal on earth.
- A rapid increase in a jellyfish population is called a “jellyfish bloom”.
- Due to their body shape jellyfish are one of the most efficient swimmers of the world, by rapidly contracting and expanding their body.
Interesting isn’t it…
I also didn’t expect to read up on jellyfish facts today but here we are.
Life is sometimes pretty strange and amusing.
See ya hopefully soon. 👋